Skip to main content

Addictive Rocky Road Fudge


Whenever I eat fudge, I think about vacations in the mountains for some reason.  It may have something to do with the fact that every mountain town has that quintessentially cute little fudge shoppe, that you just can't resist going into.  And once your inside, well, then it's over.  At least it is for me.

I mean, how could you resist the rows and rows of fudgy delights??  There's fudge whipped up in every flavor combination you can imagine, with the smell of sugar and chocolate in the air.  Oh dear, I should have written this while I still had fudge left.  Now I'm craving it again!

My wonderful hubby loves, loves, loves rocky road anything, so when we were craving fudge a few weeks ago, the flavor was an easy decision.  This particular recipe is incredibly easy.  Maybe one of the best things about this recipe is that no candy thermometer is required.  It comes together easy and would make a perfect little gift wrapped up in a pretty package for friends, family or co-workers around the holidays.

I do have one confession to make - The first time I made this fudge, I was in a big hurry and grabbed a can of CONDENSED milk instead of EVAPORATED milk out of the pantry.  This resulted in an epic fail, with a result that wasn't even edible.  Yuck.  Once I finally figured out what had happened, I re-made the fudge with the correct ingredients.  I was so relieved when it was delicious the second time around!  So, be careful and don't make the same mistake I did.  :)

TIP:  If using 9x13 baking dishes, line the dishes with parchment paper, with extra paper hanging over the edges, before pouring in the fudge.  This will make removing the finished fudge from the dish a lot easier.

Bon Appetit, my friends!  :)


Rocky Road Fudge 
(a.k.a. Phat Cow Fudge)
Adapted from:  The Girl Who Ate Everything


Ingredients:
  • 20 ounces Hershey's® milk chocolate bars, broken into pieces.
  • 1(12 ounce) package semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) salted butter, cut into pieces
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows
  • 4 cups frozen mini marshmallows
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups pecans, chopped
Directions:
Pour four cups of mini marshmallows into a large freezer bag and place in the freezer until frozen.
Next, place the broken milk chocolate bars, chocolate chips and butter in a large mixing bowl; set aside.  In a large sauce pan, combine the sugar, evaporated milk and 2 1/2 cups mini marshmallows.  Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat while stirring constantly.  Continue to cook and stir at a light boil for 7 minutes.
Remove from heat and immediately drizzle over the chocolate & butter mixture. With a wooden spoon, stir the mixture until the chocolate is melted and loses its shine.  If it appears separated, keep stirring.  As it starts to cool, it will lose its shine. 

Stir in the vanilla. Add the frozen marshmallows and pecans. Spread into a large buttered cookie sheet, or two 9x13 baking dishes, lined with parchment paper.

Place the fudge into the refrigerator, so that it cools completely and sets.  Store in an airtight container.

Makes 60-70 pieces.

Pin It

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out