Skip to main content

Shrimp & Grits + Helen, GA!



***A few weeks ago, Brad and I got the chance to get away for a quick weekend trip to Helen, GA.  We kept hearing about this unique little town modeled after an Alpine village, and we were curious about what the German town had to offer.  I was especially curious about how much it would remind me of our actual trip to Germany.

I have to say that I wasn't disappointed.  We had a fabulous time meandering around the village, eating German food, hiking the local trails, and even got dressed up in traditional German clothing!


Fortunately, we had the pleasure of dining at the Nacoochee Grill while we were there.  It was honestly one of the best restaurant meals that I've had in a very long time.  It offered the very best in fine gourmet dining, but at a surprisingly affordable price.  For an appetizer, we began our meal with perfectly prepared eggrolls filled with marinated steak.  They came arranged in a pretty row on a white platter....I wish I had taken photos!  For my entree, I had the marinated, grilled shrimp with mango salsa, which was heaven on a plate!  Brad ordered the Shrimp & Grits, which turned out to be simply incredible!  

The Shrimp & Grits were made using White-Speckled Stone Ground White Grits, which were made nearby at the Nora Mill Granary.   I was able to get my hands on a bag of these fine grits at a store in town (you can buy them on their website!), along with a bag of their "Grandma's Biscuit & Pancake Mix."  These two purchases were among my favorite souvenirs!  



Wow...These grits are truly something special.  Now, some of you may be thinking, "What in the heck are GRITS?!?"  My fellow Southerners know just what I'm talking about.  ;-)  Here's a LINK for those of you that haven't heard of this famous Southern delicacy!  

As soon as I had the chance, I made Shrimp & Grits once we got back home.  This recipe from Paula Deen was so good, that I've made it twice already!  


Bon Appetit!

Shrimp and Grits Recipe
Source:  Paula Deen

Ingredients

  • 1 cup stone-ground grits
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, left whole if small and roughly chopped if medium or large
  • 6 slices bacon, chopped into tiny pieces
  • 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
  • 1 large garlic clove, minced

Directions

1. To make the shrimp and grits recipe, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the grits and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well with a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cook the grits until all the water is absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Keep covered until ready to serve. 

2. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned and crisp, then drain on a paper towel. Add the shrimp to the bacon grease in the skillet and saute over medium heat just until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Do not overcook! Immediately add the lemon juice, parsley, green onions, and garlic. Remove the skillet from the heat. 

3. Pour the grits into a serving bowl. Pour the shrimp mixture over the grits. Garnish with the bacon bits. 

Note: If you are serving this as an appetizer, spoon 1/4 cup grits onto a bread or salad plate. Top with 1/4 cup of the shrimp mixture. Garnish with a sprinkling of crisp bacon bits and serve immediately.


Comments

Those look like wonderful grits... just enough 'grit' to add some texture.
Helen is fun a lot of fun ~Germany it isn't :-)
Half Baked said…
Mmm your grits look delicious! Helen GA looks like a fun place to visit!
Christen Price said…
Hey friend!

This post took me back to when we went to Helen two years ago! We ate at the same restaurant and went to the place where you got the grits. So much fun! Hope you are doing great!!!!!!!!!
Anonymous said…
This version of shrimp and grits sounds wonderful! They're always so creamy, comforting, and satisfying! I make a shrimp and grits recipe that is very similar to this but I add a sauce to mine.

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out