Skip to main content

Day 14: Rome & Dinner at Harry's Bar!!!

Well...Day 14 was our last full day in Rome...we were so sad to be at the end of our journey. We started off the day with a yummy breakfast at the hotel - fresh kiwi, oranges, croissants, prosciutto, turkey, salami, assorted cheeses, etc. It was delicious! After breakfast, we had our first Metro experience in Rome...Wow...A LOT of people can cram onto the Metro at one time. We were packed in like sardines. It was a pretty interesting experience...haha. We headed over to the Barbirini area to do a little sight-seeing. After walking around the city for a while, we headed back towards the Trevi Fountain...our favorite spot in Rome! We wanted to find a good place for lunch. We found the perfect place - Sacro & Profano Ristorante Pizzeria . We both had pizza. Brad ordered a classic "Margherita" pizza while I ordered their "Capricciosa" pizza with tomato, mozzarella, mushrooms, olives, artichokes and prosciutto. It was so much fun, because we were able to watch them make our pizzas...we were sitting on a balcony directly above the brick oven and kitchen area. We watched them toss the dough and everything. I picked up a few pizza-making techniques in the process! Of course, the pizzas were DIVINE!

Making the pizza!

Now that's a good-looking pizza!

After lunch, we went over to the Trevi Fountain...it was right down the street. We wanted to see it again during the daytime and make a few more wishes. ;) After a little time at the fountain, we strolled around the area and stopped for some gelato. Then, we finished up our souvenir shopping for our family and friends. We found some pretty cool stuff!

The Trevi Fountain...
We bought a beautiful painting of the Colosseum from this artist...he was fantastic!
This was a DELICIOUS looking window display...do you see the truffles near the bottom??
Prosciutto!
Next, we made our way over to Piazza del Popolo. It was very pretty, with a giant obelisk in the center. An electric guitar player was playing some rock tunes which added to the atmosphere. After some time spent exploring, we needed to head back to the hotel...we had a BIG, fancy dinner planned at Harry's Bar!!!! We headed back and got all dressed up and ready to go. We had a little extra time before dinner, so we strolled by the ruins again. It was so cool to see them all lit up at night...very beautiful! After that, we went to see the Vittorio Emanuele II Monument...aka "The Wedding Cake Building." This monument was built to honor the first king of Italy - Vittorio Emanuele. The locals hate this building, because they think it's an eyesore and looks like a fancy wedding cake. Basically, it doesn't fit with the aesthetics of the rest of the city. We thought it was beautiful! Strolling around was a great way to spend our extra hour before dinner.
Piazza del Popolo...
This folks, is a Cappuccino Nutella...need I say more?!?!?
View of the ruins at night...
"The Wedding Cake Building"...
Dinner...OMG...we had dinner at the legendary Harry's Bar. It was WONDERFUL! All kinds of celebrities and fabulous people have eaten there....everyone from Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis to Mel Gibson! It was truly the most amazing meal that I've ever had in my life...WOW! We pulled out all the stops...we wanted it to be reallly special and celebrate the amazing trip that was coming to an end. We started with champagne and foie gras...it doesn't get much better than that!!! That's the first time I've ever had foie gras. I was a little nervous, but it was divine! It had a wonderfully buttery texture...oh my goodness! I even got to meet the chef! Brad asked our waiter if I could meet the chef to give him my complements, and he came out to our table! He was so humble and nice. The entire dinner experience was superb...the staff treated us like royalty and there was a pianist playing beautiful music...music from "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and other melodic tunes filled the air while we enjoyed our meal. Everything was top-notch and first-class. If you're ever in Rome and have the chance to eat here...please do! It's not cheap, but it was such an amazing experience and was worth every euro.
This gorgeous dish was complements of the chef...
Terrina di foie-gras con fragole, aceto di Modena e pan brioche
(Foie-gras with strawberry sauce and balsamic vinegar and pan brioche)
My dinner selection:
Tagliatelle all'Astice con Pomodorino Fresco
(Noodles pasta with lobster and fresh cherry tomato)
Brad's dinner selection:
Maltagliati al Lardo di Colonnata con cipolla rossa di Tropea e pomodorini
(Homemade pasta with tomatoes, bacon from Colonnata, and red onion from Tropea)
Sfogliatina calda di mele in salsa di vaniglia con gelato all cannella
(Hot apple pastry in a vanilla sauce and cinnamon ice cream)
The espresso is served in these cute little pots...
After our meal, we walked the cobblestone streets to see the Trevi Fountain for the second time that day...there's no better place in Rome to spend your last evening and reflect on your trip. What an unforgettable night!!! :)

Comments

Bella! Bella!
What beautiful memories.
Reading this makes me want to take a trip to Europe!

Popular posts from this blog

Absolutely Sinful Cinnamon Rolls

***Alrighty, here are the cinnamon rolls that I mentioned in my previous post. I put these together on Christmas Eve, and then baked them on Christmas morning. Let me just tell you...there's nothing quite like the smell of yummy cinnamon rolls wafting through the house on Christmas morning...ahhhhh...so wonderful! This is going to be a new tradition for us...fresh, homemade rolls on Christmas. I thought that I might try this recipe, and then maybe try a new one next year...until I found one that I really loved. However, I hit the jackpot on the first try! This is THE recipe that I'll always use. UPDATE:   Since originally writing this post in 2008, I've  made these cinnamon rolls every year for Christmas!  They are a holiday tradition that my family looks forward to all year!  You can see my other posts here, with lots more photos of these sinful cinnamon rolls: CHRISTMAS 2009 CHIRSTMAS 2010 CHRISTMAS 2011 The great thing was that I could prepare them on Christmas

My Favorite Quiche!

***It's not often that a recipe is worthy of re-posting.  I think I've only done that once or twice in the entire time I've written this blog.  However, this is one of those rare occasions.  Back in 2009 when Brad and I went to Europe, we had the most amazing Quiche Lorraine at the incredible Les Deux Magots cafe in Paris.  It was delicious and was served alongside a yummy salad of fresh greens (Quiche Lorraine sur Salade Verte).  Oh, it was heaven on a plate!  It also didn't hurt that we were sitting on the patio of one of the most famous cafes in Paris, after all...haha.  The atmosphere and people-watching in that particular area are hard to beat. I'll never forget the elderly lady that was sitting at the table right next to us (the tables were situated pretty close together).  She was dressed to-the-nines, was all by herself, and was just the quintessential, classy Parisian lady.  I wish more than anything that I had tried to strike up a conversation with her

Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread - Southern Living

***There seriously aren't very many things that smell better than Banana Nut Bread baking in the oven.   Don't you agree?  This recipe for Cream Cheese Banana Nut Bread from Southern Living magazine was one of the very first recipes that I added to this blog...back in November 2007!  In fact, I came across it when I worked for the magazine as a Marketing Intern.  Back then, I didn't have a photo for every recipe, and the blog post was simply the recipe and nothing else.  Because this is my go-to recipe for Banana Nut Bread (and because it is so amazing!), I thought that it deserved a little more attention.  This is quite honestly some of the best Banana Nut Bread that I've ever had.  An entire 8oz. package of cream cheese is added right to the batter, along with 4 mashed bananas.  The cream cheese adds so much to this recipe, with an incredibly moist texture being the main component.  Plus, the roasted pecans are the perfect addition.  Roasting the nuts brings out